09 October 2005

speculaas

It's been a while since I've posted anything here. Sorry about that. Life's been busy.

I thought I'd post the recipe for one of my favorite holiday cookies, Speculaas, an almond paste filled spice cookie, though they aren't the easiest cookie to make. I believe the recipe is Dutch in origins and I've seen a lot of variations upon it, though the following is the one I've made most often.

1 3/4 sticks of butter
2 1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
pinch of salt

Combine the above ingredients into a soft dough. It might be easiest to work on a marble slab and with a cold bowl, if available.

Take a bit of dough and press into a small circle. Top with a tiny dollop of almond paste. Brush with lightly beaten egg white and top with another bit of dough, so that you have a small round cookie with a raised lump in the middle.

Bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes, until done.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel, I stumbled on your blog via marion's, and am smiling at your zeal for inventive cooking. Gotta try the speculas and the choc cake, for sure. Have never even seen sachetti, tho in the culinary exile of Delaware County, this is not surprising. Cathy Kempf

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home