26 August 2005

prize winning chocolate cake

I'm feeling in such a completely uncreative mood cooking-wise tonight. We'll probably do either take-out or something like mac and cheese.

I was looking through a folder of recipes, however, and ran across a cake recipe that I developed a number of years ago. I've entered the finished cake into two separate contests (neither of which was terribly large) and managed win first prize with it on both occasions. Here's the recipe:

Preheat oven to 350F.

Cream together:
1/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup sugar
Beat in:
2 egg yolks
4 squares of melted baking chocolate
Whisk together:
1 7/8 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
Add these to the creamed sugar mixture, in four additions, alternating with a combination of:
1 1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Whip the 2 leftover egg whites into peaks and then whip in 1/2 cup sugar to make a stiff meringue. Fold into the batter in two or three additions.

Pour into two 8 inch cake pans (that have been greased and lightly floured) and bake for 30-40 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool and remove from pans.

Make chocolate-mocha frosting:
1/3 cup shortening (part butter)
3 cups sifted confectioners sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cream
1 1/2 tablespoons cold strong black coffee (or espresso)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 squares melted baking chocolate
Mix the shortening and sugar at low speed until fluffy, then add the liquid flavorings. Finish by adding the chocolate until blended.

Slice each cake layer in half, across the layer so that you have 4 round layers. Spread two cake layers with raspberry jam that has been melted with a bit of rum. Top each with another layer. Use frosting between the two pairs of layers and frost outside of cake.

Decorate with fresh raspberries, piped chocolate frosting, semisweet chips, and dark chocolate savings.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When folding egg whites is there a general rule about how small the egg white should be in the batter? I know you don't want to crush the fluffy whites, but it seems that they can be too big too.

I love this blog, btw, and intend to make your prize winning cake for a labor day weekend treat.

Rebekah

2:57 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

They can be pretty thoroughly folded in. They're usually folded in two or three additions. The first addition lightens the batter a bit so that the second addition doesn't loose as much air. Just be gentle and don't overdo it.

3:28 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

I *finally* made this yesterday so I wanted to share some helpful tips with others.

1/ Check the size of your cake pans. I have three, all of which are 9.5", which I didn't realize until I was about to start and didn't have enough baking chocolate to make 150% of the recipe.

2/ I only used about 5 oz. of jam and I should have used more.

It's definitely a complex dessert to make, but very rewarding! Thanks for sharing this, Joel!

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have made it and think that I would make 1.5 the amount of frosting. (Everyone raved about the cake with the frosting made as specified. I simply happen to like a good bit of frosting with my cake!)

Rebekah
Fittsy

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home