21 August 2005

peach streusel muffins

Annie asked about what recipe I used to make peach muffins. I'd never made them before, so I adapted a recipe out of a Southern Living: 2003 Annual Recipes cookbook that my mother-in-law gave me as a gift a couple years ago.

Since I did a sort of riff on what they wrote, I'll post it (otherwise, there are copyright issues). Also, note that this is a double recipe (24 muffins), so can be easily halved.

Muffin Batter
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened (I used half shortening)
2/3 cup sugar
two large eggs, yolks and whites separated
4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup milk (I used 1%)
3 cups chopped fresh, peeled peaches

Whip egg whites into stiff peaks and set aside.

Beat the butter/margarine/shortening until creamy. Then gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, beating until blended.

Whisk together the lower flour amounts, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with milk, until it becomes a slightly too-thick consistency for muffin batter. Add a bit of extra flour if necessary, especially if the weather is humid. Stir in vanilla and peaches (the peaches will thin the batter with their moisture). Fold in egg whites in two or three additions (which will thin and lighten the batter further).

Spoon batter evenly into 24 muffin pans (use papers if not using non-stick or silicone). They should be around two-thirds full.

Streusel Topping
1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
5 tablespoons chilled butter or margarine

Combine ingredients with a pastry blender or fingers until crumbly. Sprinkle crumbled chunks over muffin batter.

Bake at 375F for 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans and cool.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting the recipe!! I can't wait to try it out. :)

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home