12 September 2005

cranberry sauce

As I was sprinkling dried cranberries on my breakfast cereal this morning, I began thinking about all the great cranberry recipes that are out there. Since fresh cranberries will soon be available in the store, I thought I'd post my favorite cranberry sauce recipe, though I'll admit that it's a bit of an acquired taste.

5/8 cup dry red wine (cabernet or pinot noir work)
1 2/3 cups sugar
2 pounds cranberries
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
zest and juice of 1/2 orange
1/2 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
15 peppercorns
3 star anise
10 juniper berries

In a saucepan, bring the wine and sugar to a boil over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the cranberries. Place spices in a cheescloth sachet or a teaball and add to cranberries and liquid. Bring back to a boil. Stir. Remove from heat. Transfer to a glass or ceramic bowl with a tight lid and allow to cool. Chill. Can be refrigerated for several months as the flavor becomes more mellow and complex. Leave the spice sachet in the sauce as long as desired.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel V said...

Mmm...cranberry sauce makes me excited for fall! My mom does something similar to this sauce at Thanksgiving, except I think she puts a whole orange (peel and all) into a food processor and then just removes the seeds before adding to the cranberries. I'm crazy about oranges so I love this. It definitely helps to let the flavors infuse in the fridge at least overnight though.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home